Trenchers' Polpette (Housemade Meatballs)
Chef Tips: The secret for good meatballs is to work the meatball fix to help them become firmer. When mixing and shaping, knead the mixture well.
Ready to serve in: 45 minutes - 1 hour Active time: 25 minutes Serves: 4-6 Adults, makes about 16 large meatballs
Ingredients to Finish:
- In a medium saute pan add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and place over medium heat. Add onions, fennel and garlic. Saute until translucent about 5-8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, Italian sausage, eggs, cooled veggies, Parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, bread crumbs, herbs, lemon zest, salt, black pepper and chili flake.
- Mix well, see our chef tips. Cover the bowl and allow to rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Portion the mixture into meatballs. Our favorite is a large 4 oz cookie scoop. Place onto a lined sheet tray.
- Preheat the oven on to 375* F
- In a deep baking pan coat the bottom with the crushed/ smashed tomatoes, olive oil, chopped herbs, and chili flake. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottom saute pan or cast iron skillet add 1/4 cup of oil and place over medium heat. When the oil is hot add the meatballs, working in batches to not crowd the pan. Saute meatballs until crispy and golden then flip and repeat on the other side. Set onto a paper towel to drain. The meatballs should still be raw in the center.
- Repeat with the rest of the meatballs.
- Nestle the meatballs in the tomato mixture and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Top with parmigiano reggiano and serve.